Back on the farm the next few days were spent clearing beds in the field, working in the greenhouse, and transplanting chard and kale flats from the greenhouse into the field.
It was my first weekend spent on the farm. Saturday, Jon and I ventured in the rain to the nearby town of New Milford where we explored the Goodwill and went food shopping. Sunday, we woke up and the skies were sunny. We made plans to go hiking with an apprentice from the neighboring town of Cornwall, CT. We went hiking in Macedonia State Park, had lunch, and visited the farm where Dustin the other apprentice works.
Week four spring had finally come and we transplanted tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, spinach, scallions, and lettuce into the fields. On Tuesday the nice warm weather enticed Jon and I to take a swim in the Housatonic river.
One month into my apprenticeship I continue to enjoy myself. The highlight so far had been transplanting the tomatoes into the greenhouse. It was thrilling and satisfying to seed the tomatoes and then watch them grow large enough to be planted.
No comments:
Post a Comment