April 18, 2011

Week Two

With the rainy weather in the beginning of the week, much of my time Mon-Wed was spent in the greenhouse.  I seeded peppers and transplanted different varieties of lettuce into drill trays.  As I mentioned before greenhouse work can be slow and frustrating. However, the sound of the rain coming down on the roof of the greenhouse made the work soothing and calming.  During times when the rain let up we worked more in the fields, prepping beds and were able to plant shallots. 
Thursday the weather was beautiful, and we spent the whole day working in the fields.  I applied organic fertilizer and amendments to a number of the beds and did weed control. The end of the day we sorted through the Sun Chokes we dug up last week and selected 100 lbs of 'grade A' chokes to sell to a chef who owns a restaurant in a nearby town called Community Table.  Friday Jon and I spent 7 hours laying down mulch down on one of the two garlic beds.  Spending hours working on hands and knees in the soil is defiantly not the most exciting work  Rather than looking at the entire bed and getting overwhelmed with how much more mulching there needed to be done, I tried to focus on the work I was doing and get into a rhythm.  It also helped to have Jon across from me to to tell jokes and stories with to pass the time.
With two weeks behind us, Megan complimented Jon and I on our hard work and dedication and mentioned that this has been the most preductive beginning of the season since she has started the farm.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment